Chartered by Messiah Lutheran Church in Plano TX
History and Leadership
Our troop was founded in 1998 and is currently chartered by Messiah Lutheran Church in Plano, TX. We currently have approximately 35 registered Scouts. The Scouts are supported by many adults, including 6 Assistant Scoutmasters, all trained, several having earned the Eagle Scout Rank and most being Woodbadge-trained.
Our troop camps monthly, with activities, merit badge classes and service projects during the year, culminating with a week-long summer camp. The youth leaders in the troop plan each month with a focus on a Scouting theme, which is incorporated into the meetings and camping trips. It is the responsibility of each patrol to do their part in planning and performing each part of the program. The locations for the monthly trips are picked to support the theme Recent themes have included:
- Fire Building,
- Rifle and Shotgun Shooting,
- Wilderness Survival,
- Boating, and
We look for Summer Camps which offer a diverse program to meet the needs of both the younger and older scouts including a strong "Trail to First Class" program for the newest scouts, Merit Badges for the middle ages, and a Medium to High Adventure program for the older scouts. We alternate between a local camp in even years and a more distant experience in the odd years. We also participate in Winter Camp at Camp Trevor Rees-Jones, Athens, TX. Previous summer camps have included:
- 2016: Camp Orr in Arkansas
- 2015: Ben Delatour Scout Camp in Colorado and Trevor Rees-Jones in Athens, TX
- 2014: Camp Kia Kima in Arkansas
- 2013: Camp Daniel Boone in North Carolina and Trevor Rees-Jones in Athens, TX
- 2012: Camp Hale in Oklahoma
- 2011: Lewis and Clark Scout Camp in South Dakota
- 2010: Slippery Falls and Camp Hale in Oklahoma
- 2009: San Isabel Scout Camp in Colorado
- 2008: Ben Delatour Scout Camp in Colorado
- 2007: Buffalo Trails Scout Ranch in west Texas
The Troop is actively involved in High Adventure. Camping Trips, Summer Camps, and other activities exist to prepare the scouts for bigger challenges. We try to schedule a high adventure trip on even numbered years.
- 2014 Philmont, New Mexico
- 2012 Philmont, New Mexico
- 2010 Philmont, New Mexico
- 2010 Sea Base, Florida
- 2009 Philmont, New Mexico
- 2009 Alaskan Range, Alaska
Troop 198 will be an opportunity-rich, character-building, fun place in line with the Scout Oath and Law.
Troop 198 will train for success, build character in all activities, provide opportunities for advancement, have fun, and communicate well.
Come Join Us!